The Olympic champion Sammy Wanjiru from Kenya has won the men’s race for the second consecutive year in the Chicago Marathon Sunday with a time two hours six minutes 23 seconds, just a minute slower than the course record of 2:05:41 he set last year.
The 23-year-year-old Wanjiru past past Ethiopia’s Tsegaye Kebede in the final mile and his victory continued Kenya’s dominance in the sports as they have now won the Chicago men’s marathon for eight consecutive years and 11 times in all.
The 20-years-old Ethiopia Feyisa Lelisa from Ethiopia finished third.
Wanjiru recorded his best performance of to hours five minutes and 10 seconds in London 2009.
“It was a very tough race,” Wanjiru told local television.
Russia’s Liliya Shobukhova also retained her women’s title, finishing the course in 2:20:25, more than five minutes quicker than in 2009.
Ethiopia’s Askale Magarsa was second while Russian Maria Konovalova took the third spot.
Chicago Marathon Male Results:
- Sammy Wanjiru (KEN) 2:06:24
- Tsegaye Kebede (ETH) 2:06:43
- Feyisa Lilly (ETH) 2:08:10
- Wesley Korir (KEN) 2:08:44
- Vincent Kipruto (ETH) 2:09:08
- Kiprono Robert Cheruiyot (KEN) 2:09:28
- Laban Moiben (KEN) 2:10:48
- Jason Hartmann (USA) 2:11:06
- Ridouane Harroufi (MAR) 2:13:01
- Mike Sayenko (USA) 2:14:27
Chicago Marathon Female Results:
- Liliya Shobukhova (RUS) 2:20:25
- Astede Baysa (ETH) 2:23:40
- Maria Konovalova (RUS) 2:23:50
- Desiree Davila (USA) 2:26:20
- Irina Mikitenko (GER) 2:26:40
- Mamitu Daska (ETH) 2:28:29
- Magdalena Lewy-Boulet (USA) 2:28:44
- Kaori Yoshida (JPN) 2:29:45
- Chaofeng Jia (CHN) 2:30:35
- Tera Moody (USA) 2:30:53